Our Winter Olympics insights
The Beijing Winter Olympic Games were set to be a highlight of the 2022 sporting calendar, and they didn’t disappoint. Although crowds were limited due to COVID, with the addition of new events and the return of old rivalries, the Winter Olympics was a fantastic spectacle of winter sports.
Although tough COVID restrictions proved challenging for our crews on the ground, we were still able to provide all the latest news including key athlete profiles, venue profiles, IOC press conferences and medallist press conferences.
- Video content from February’s Winter Olympics was used by over 350 media organisations, the biggest event total of 2022 so far and ahead of the Australian Open and the Africa Cup of Nations.
- China’s 18-year-old freestyle skier, Eileen Gu, was the biggest star at Beijing 2022. Highlights from the first of her three medals, a gold in the Big Air, were the most popular videos with our clients.
- Other popular highlights included action from Germany’s Francesco Friedrich winning double bobsleigh gold, matching his result at PyeongChang 2018, Nathan Chen’s figure skating victory for the USA, and Canada beating the USA 3-2 to take gold in the women’s ice hockey.
- We had coverage of breaking news, all cleared for global use, from the controversy surrounding Russian skater, Kamila Valieva, to the appearance of tennis player, Peng Shuai, who watched Gu’s Women’s Big Air final win alongside IOC president, Thomas Bach.
- We also provided insightful news content, the most popular of which showed the robot bartenders serving journalists at the media centre. Other stories provided insight into hosting a global sporting event during a pandemic and China’s zero-covid strategy, and how climate change is threatening the future of the Winter Olympics, with the last eight years the hottest on record.
sntv has been covering global sports events for over 25 years, so we know how to deliver the content that your audiences want to see. The rest of 2022 is set to be action-packed with the UEFA Women's EURO, Commonwealth Games, Asian Games and the eagerly awaited FIFA World Cup all taking centre stage.
View details on our upcoming 2022 events here and find out how sntv can help you form stronger connections with your audiences.
You can also keep up to date by following our LinkedIn profile.